Tuesday, April 21, 2009

ADHD

We went to Austin's doctor today to get an opinion about ADHD. David, Austin's teacher and I completed rating scales to give our take on austin. As I suspected, everyone said he was very inattentive, somewhat impulsive, but has little hyperactivity. However, since it is impacting his schoolwork (thankfully, not his grades yet because his teacher is forgiving and lets him finish work even when he turns it in blank) we decided to try medicine. We had to wait for an hour before the doctor came in. I think it may have been a test to see how worked up Austin would be in a tiny room after sitting there for a long period of time. Of course he was like a monkey in a cage. Anyway, part of the conversation is as follows: Doctor looks at the chart

Doctor to me: so you're a school psychologist
Me: yes
Doctor to David: so what do you know about ADD/ADHD
David (staring blankly), then: not much
Me: His oldest daughter has ADHD
Doctor to David: (explaining the different types of ADHD)

then it occurs to me that David told me that he had ADHD at one point. We began talking about different types of medicine
David: I know about Concerta I used to take it
Doctor: Oh (making a note in the file - probably stating Dad is an idiot)
David: yes, I have been diagnosed with adult ADHD
Doctor: Ohhhh (making more notes)

I think the doctor understands where Austin's problems lie.

1 comment:

Krista P said...

That's so sad, yet I'm laughing hysterically. What are you trying him on? There's a lot more available to him since he's over five. Does insurance cover everything? We ran into a lot of trouble with insurance coverage and types P could take. Let me know how he reacts.