Friday, November 1, 2013

The Farmer in the Dell


As you may have heard, I have left St. Louis Public Schools for greener pastures (almost literally).  I am now a school psychologist for a small rural special education district in southern Illinois.  The two districts I am assigned to are very small towns and are located away from the hustle and bustle of the city.  One of my elementary schools is a brand new building, and has giant windows all around the school.  While my office does not have any windows, I leave my office door open so that I can see out the windows of the art and band rooms.  Now that the crops have been harvested, I can see a horse pasture on the other side of the field.  It is such a beautiful and serene picture to see the horses running.  All of my schools have been very accommodating to me as well.  I am so happy that I made the switch.  It was really a serendipitous event that I got this job.  David told me several months ago that he was going to lose insurance on Austin in November sometime and that he would no longer be paying for his insurance.  To put Austin on my insurance would have cost about $500 per month which was not something I was not financially able to do.  So as the date loomed closer, I started looking for a new job that paid more money.  I mentioned to my mom that I was applying for a couple of jobs.  Within two days, there was an article in one of the small town papers that my dad reads about the school psychologist before me resigning.  I applied and the very next day got a call from the director.  Within a few weeks I was hired and started on Oct. 1.  It has been an adjustment and I still have a lot to remember and learn because I only worked in Illinois one year and that was nine years ago.  I miss my old colleagues in StL, but I am really enjoying getting to know everyone at my new district too.  I hope this will continue to be a positive experience.  And who knows, maybe I will meet a farmer in the dell to marry J

This is the brand new elementary school with lots of windows.

 
This is a close-up of the horses.  I took this picture from the parking lot so it is not the exact view from my office.

No comments: